The application portal for the biomedical sciences graduate programs will open September 2018 for Summer 2019 admission consideration. Please note that the program begins in early July to align with the medical school academic calendar.
The application process consists of submitting the online application, GRE scores (and TOEFL scores if required), a filing fee, and official transcripts. Three faculty letters of recommendation should be submitted by your recommenders online based on information you provide in the application. Faculty do not receive the request until you "submit" the application.
The program reviews all formal applications as soon as they are completed. Early applications are welcomed and may result in early admittance decisions.
Applicants should submit their completed applications, including all transcripts, test scores, and letters of recommendation, by December 1 for fall admission and fellowship consideration.
Questions can be sent via e-mail to the BMSC program coordinator.
For assistance with class registration, program requirements, Graduate Division policies, and fellowship and employment matters (TA/GSR), contact the SOM Biomedical Sciences Admissions Office via email at BioMedAdmissions@medsch.ucr.edu or visit our office at 1682 SOM Education Building
Phone: (951) 827-4540
Undergraduate Preparation for Admissions
Applicants should have completed an undergraduate degree in one of the physical or biological sciences and must take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test. As a general guideline, combined GRE quantitative and verbal scores of 300 or better are considered necessary for admission.
Courses required for admission include one year each of general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics and calculus and at least two years of biological sciences. Other preferred courses include biochemistry, physical chemistry and computer sciences. Preferred upper division courses in biology include vertebrate or human anatomy and physiology, embryology, genetics, cell and molecular biology, microbiology, immunology and neurosciences.
Official transcripts should be sent to the BMSC program from the registrar's office of all academic institutions you have attended after high school. Or, you may send them yourself in the original sealed envelopes.
International applicants must submit one copy of official transcripts and certificates of degree/diploma in their original language, with English translations prepared by the issuing institution. Notarized documents or copies are not accepted. The documents may be sent to our program from the issuing institution or you may send them yourself in the original sealed envelopes.
UCR School of Medicine
Attention: BMSC Program Coordinator
1682 SOM Education Building
Riverside, CA 92521-0121
Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
All applicants for fall should take the GRE test no later than November.
- The test must be taken within the last five (5) years before the desired date of admission.
- The minimum GRE score required for admission is 1100 (combined qualitative and quantitative scores).
- The minimum GRE score required for admission with the new test system is 300 (150 qualitative and 150 quantitative).
- Please allow a minimum of 3-4 weeks for a test score to be reported to our campus.
GRE UCR code: 4839 - A department code is not necessary.
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL or TOEFL iBT)
All applicants whose first language is not English must submit TOEFL scores.
- TOEFL UCR code: 4839 - iBT code: 45
- This exam must be taken within two years before the desired date of admission.
- The minimum score for the TOEFL iBT is 80.
- The minimum TOEFL score required is 550, for the computer base exam is 213.
- The average TOEFL score of new fall BMSC graduate students is 96.
- A TOEFL score is not required if the previous two years of a student's studies were conducted at an English speaking institution and/or in the United States.
For more information, visit the Educational Testing Service website or call (609) 771-7100, Monday - Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 9:30 p.m. Please allow a minimum of 3-4 weeks for a test score to be reported to our campus.